Saturday 9 January 2016

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

                                 If I stay by Gayle Forman

"Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you."

What a great book. Don't hate me but I didn't cry... But I did find it sad. I find it sad because it could happen and it could happen to anyone. When the film came out I always wanted to watch but never got the chance and then I found out it was a book which meant I had to read the book first.

When I first picked it up, I thought it was very like Michael Morpurgo's book Cool! which is about a boy's experience of being in a coma. It's quite a hard concept to understand unless you've been in a coma and I haven't but both books gives me an idea about what it could be like.

The idea of what happens after death really scares me but also interests me so although reading around this topic upsets me, it also gives me ideas about what could happen. What does happen after death? In philosophy we're learning about it and I'm still looking for the answer.

A family of four are in a car crash. I couldn't help thinking what if it was my family because it was the same set up. The mum and dad are killed instantly but the book is about Mia, the main character, experiencing a coma but a disembodied existence. We are left asking what decision she'll make as she watches her loved ones come to visit her.

Another main theme in this book is music which I find quite hard to connect with as I've never learnt to play a musical instrument or anything. Mia is a cello player and Adam, her boyfriend, is a guitarist and in a band. Oh well. I understood the majority of it.


However I love the narrative of this book as it's mainly set in the present but to explain her emotions and love life during the present, it refers to the past. Although it is confusing to begin with, I love the idea of a time- travelling narrative if I can call it that.


I hope you've enjoyed this and hopefully it won't be long until I've finished my next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment