Monday 1 February 2016

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee


"But this a truth that applies to the human race and to no particular race of men"

I've always wanted to read this, probably because my mum used to teach it at GCSE so I always assumed it was an easy but respected read. It was a lot longer than I thought it'd be and it took me a lot longer as I had to look up quite a few things that would have made sense at the time but no longer does. 

When I bought it up at the dinner table, I got a a lecture on the themes, history and context of the book from both my parents. I wish I hadn't bought it up but afterwards I realised how much more sense the book made with the added knowledge. It was written at a time of the civil rights movement about 1930s America. Racism is the biggest theme in this book and it encapsulates how people were perceived just because of their skin colour. 

It is written from the narrative of Scout who for some reason I thought was a boy at the beginning. I've learnt not to mention this name in front of my mum because she wants a dog called Scout. Scout (she) is accompanied by her older brother Jem of whom I also confused the gender. I wanted to refer to him as her. Sorry. They both want to make friends with Boo Radley, a neighbour who never leaves his house. 

Atticus, their father, is a lawyer who becomes the talk of the town because he defends a black person in court which was unheard of before. 

"They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

Why mockingbird? I've always wanted to call them mockingjays but  maybe that's the inner Hunger Games fan in me. A mockingbird is a common bird in America that creates such a peaceful sound that's it's a sin to kill them which erupts Scout and Jem's own thoughts about what sin is. 

Although at times it was boring, it was interesting as it reminded me that racial inequality once existed and it was not that long ago. Everyone assumes it was a lot longer ago than it actually was because we are ashamed but this book shows the steady change which only needed a few people to start. 

Thank you. I hope you all enjoyed this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment