Thursday 8 September 2016

Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare

Merchant of Venice by William Shakespeare

Another play on my reading list done. Nearly off to university and I'm so excited!! I have to admit I didn't enjoy it as much as the others. It was hard going because I wasn't that keen but I finished it!! 

It's a play about love and I suppose religion. Bassanio and many other men in the city are in love with the rich Portia who needs to find a husband but she's very picky. Rightfully so. In order to do this Bassanio asks his friend Antonio but he loves his ships a bit too much and all his money is invested in that. Antonio goes to the Jew, Shylock who he's had a lot of trouble with in the past. Shylock agrees to lend some money as long as Antonio pays him back within three months otherwise he will cut a pound off of his flesh. Yuck. Very King Lear. 

Portia's father wants the right husband for his daughter but she is very picky. There are three caskets for them to choose from. They must choose the lead casket to marry her and Bassanio does. Aarrhh.
Antonio who once depended on his ships finds out they have been lost at sea which means he can't repay his debts which means he's gonna get his flesh chopped off. 

There's a court case and Portia and Nerissa disguise as clerks. Female power. I swear Shakespeare was a pre-feminist. Shylock wants to chop of Antonio's flesh but Portia argues he can only do that if he doesn't spill blood. Finally, Shylock who criticises Christians throughout the play agrees to be become one under duress. 

I found it hard to remember most of the names because they're not exactly your everyday names. I like them but they're hard to remember. I really like the names Lancelot and Lorenzo though especially for two ginger cats but that's a bit random. 

I hope you enjoyed my book review and haven't been put off this play too much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment