Thursday 3 September 2015

Captain Corelli's Mandolin

Captain Corelli's Mandolin


This book is so confusing to begin with; it has so many narratives but they all intertwine with each other by the end with a side of tears. I read the end on a heaving public bus. I will not be doing that again.
It questions true love of a young age but it also shows that one must listen to their heart. It is a test of true friendship but also the difference between friendship and love. The book is full of twists and one tragedy after another. 
You build such a relationship with the characters despite there being so many. You begin to know them as real people that you have known all your life. I saw myself in the main character Pelagia who had a traditional Greek life. It is an amazing exploration of the Greek life during the World War. 
It was another one of my mum's favourite books and has now become one of mine. Both my parents recommended it and as it would help with my English Literature coursework I felt that I was obliged to read it. Therefore if you are debating whether or not to read it then there should be no more questioning. You have to read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment