Sunday 18 October 2015

A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry

Hi everyone. Hope you're all still enjoying my blog. I am still trawling through my A2 recommended war reading list for English Literature. I saw this title and all that was running through my mind was the song A Long Long Way to Tripperary so I felt I had to read the book as I kept singing the song over and over again. This was a brilliant short book which I was able to read in a couple of days. I wasn't able to put it down. However it was still full of so much detail. Even though it was very graphic at times it was still very fast paced. I definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to get into war books. It's a great quick read that is easy to keep hold of. It combined the reality of war with the hardship of family relationships. It is not a classic war novel but it is still brilliant. 
It starts of with the birth of so many young men whose parents cherish them. However it highlights the fact that they are unaware that in 18 years time they will be fighting for their country. You can only guess what the ending of the book is which greatly contradicts the beginning but you still have to read on. Willie Dunne is an ordinary Irish boy who signs up to the army. He goes through so many Captains and each time he loses more and more of a relationship with them. It shows the true hardship of war. The book also demonstrates the reality of love relationships torn apart by war. It is not the most saddest book but it still pulls those strings. 
I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment